Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Marginal Situations Tweak

Another conclusion I have arrived at is that playing marginal ev situations at 50nl and probably 100nl is not worth it. I was looking through my database of winning players at this level and found that hardly any of them are playing marginal situations as regular as me. This situations are rarely profitable at these levels whereas good solid poker wins.

Cutting down on cbets when missed, bluffing less and playing less marginal hands out of position is a good strategy when you are playing with monkeys who cannot lay down an underpair or mid pair hands.

The downside of this is that you will sometimes lose value when pushed off of hands where you were ahead but this is made up for more than enough for when you have a hand and gain their flop bet, turn bet and sometimes river bet / stack. The profit will come from extracting maximum value from strong hands. Occasionally, read dependent it may be ok to make a marginal play but overall I think it is not optimum at the small stakes.

I will start showing numbers and graphs again soon. Im still maintaining my bankroll goal of $10k by the end of the year. Current online roll around $5300

2 comments:

DubsPoke said...

Couldn't agree more. I came to the same conclusion last night. Once I calmed down and started making the folds when finding myself in a marginal situations, I started winning as I mentioned in my post today. To me, it's all aboutthe RED line. Too steep means too aggressive at the micros and low limits. You either lose value from good hands or lose at showdown in marginal situations.

Unknown said...

i like......