Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Card Virgin

Where have I been...? Well, Over the past few weeks I have been in the process of setting up a card school at a local club. I dont want to go into too much detail in this post but it's something I have been working on for some time now.

Last night saw me giving my first poker lesson with few friends and a few guys I have not met before. I was taken aback by a few questions I was asked by this one guy. He was a friend of a friend and told me he had no poker experience before.

- What value does a King or an Ace have ?
- How many suits are there in the pack ?
- Its probably good to know how many types of cards in this pack. How many Aces are in this one ?
- Is AQ better than AK ?

Jeez, i wasnt ready for that curveball.

Last night cemented the fact that I cannot assume anything when it comes to teaching poker. This guy had never seen the contents of a full pack of cards and did not know the order ranking of picture cards but I assumed, at the beginning, that everyone in the world would already know this.

Another thing I took from last night was that our poker language is very easy to communicate and understand when you are around other poker players but have you ever tried to describe a hand scenario to a non poker player and found that they stare at you blankly as if you have just spoken to them in Swahili. I have to change my language when teaching and stop assuming the world has poker knowledge.

No comments: