Friday, September 5, 2008

Tweaks

I feel like I have bounced off the bottom of my downswing. I lost $800 at ipoker and went back to my old fishpond at Absolute. I continued my downward spiral, tweaked my game, levelled out, tweaked some more, suffered some beats and have now got back on track.

I've made a solid $500 (profit + rakeback) on the 100nl and the 50nl tables after around 2000 hands this month already.

I have made concious tweaks that I think have helped -

Really tightening up my UTG range. This means dropping 22-33 and trouble hands like AQo, KQo, all suited connectors.

Being very conscious of playing certain ranges vs specific stack sizes. High pair hands vs shorties and suited connectors, set mining vs 100bb - deep.

Not being too trigger happy when out of position cbetting. This really was a big leak that had found its way back in. Position, position, position.

More isolating bad players in position. There are so many limpy mclimp tables at AP that a 3bb +1bb per limper usually takes it down or leaves you in a profitable position on the flop to take it down.

Firing 2 barrels when in position where I believe opponents have missed draws. If you are against a bad player you could be extracting value if they call. Player dependant.

Using my buddylist (58) players to hunt down the weaker players and also finding tables with a lot of donkey stacks.

There is nothing new in any of the above tweaks. Its more like taking your car for its service, getting it back to functioning correctly and getting back in the driving seat. This all seems to be working again and I am feeling confident and comfortable again with my game. There is such a fine line for success and failure in this game that a little lapse in concentration can cost you quite quickly.

Never stop looking at your game. There are always ways to improve.

So now my game is back on track I need to get back to achieving some goals. My current online bankroll is $4720. I have taken out the $500 I used to start this so this is profit only now. I have a target by year end of $10k (revised down from $15k) and I aim to play between 7-10k hands a month. I am being cautious and want to play another 10k hands at 100nl before playing 200nl.

Aiming for a bankroll of $5500-$6000 by end of this month.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

cooo blog
what's your facvorite online poker room?

Ryverrat said...

Hi,

To be honest I have played a lot of sites over the past few years.

My favourite site for ease of use and number of games available has to be Full Tilt.

My favourite site for fish without a doubt is Absolute Poker. Most tables here 100NL and 50NL have atleast 2 weak spots per table. Hard to consistantly find that elsewhere.