Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Best Seat in the House

We all have our good and bad nights when playing poker. We have our upswings and fistpump the air above us, we have our downturns and hold on for dear life. There are extreme versions of these, one happened to me last night. The right place at the right time in the right position with the right cards.

I was playing 3 tables of $0.25/$0.50 and slowly rebuilding my stack after the recent variance bashing I had received. After about 3 orbits of one of the tables my fishdar (fish-radar) had picked up on a monster sighting. He was sitting to my right with a big stack and overbetting would be and understatement.

I wont post all his hands but trust me when I say that in the 20 hands I had viewed around 15 had some sort of this....

http://weaktight.com/142539

He was regularly betting 40bb into tiny pots.Full concentration was now on this table. If i didnt get this guys money someone else would surely snap it up. He was sitting with a 320bb stack and noone else had more than 40bb to challenge him.

http://weaktight.com/142540

My thought on that hand was firstly I dont mind getting it all in with him with A9s. Versus a random hand I am 2:1 favourite. (pokerstove random vs A9s)There is no need to apply pressure to this guy and an UTG raise may slow him down. Let him open the gates, so I dangled my $.50 out there hoping for hi to take the bait. Bang! MonkeyNuts bets $17. I push all in.Now CO and SB have not shown any strength and I'm happy to win this right now or for him to call and take this to showdown.

Then while he is steaming hot with tilt, while he is cursing his bad luck and figuring why the hell I would push all in with only A9s I get this on the hand straight after.

http://weaktight.com/142541

Monkeytard now pushes all of his $69.46 stack into a $1.25 pot. omfg. check that tilt move again. $1.25 pot. Who is going to call.... erm me. I have QQ and he turns up Q2d for my near 90% dominating hand. I almost pulled a muscle when I fist pumped the air. No running 2's for you buster. No flush suckout sir. I will take your money with pleasure as I enjoy the best seat in this house.

No reload. Move on people, the shows over.


There was another showing next door on another table. Not too much out of the ordinary but here is a result of disguising a flush draw/made flush to induce a bet.

http://weaktight.com/142538

The preflop raise is a little loose but I was creating a looseish image in hope of being paid off. I dont like playing too nitty. The flop is relatively safe so a cbet could probably take it down here. If not I have the nut flush draw. The call suggested a flush draw/set/floating with QJ type of hand. Bingo Bam! Turned the flush. I bet small trying to look like I am putting a feeler bet out and stealing the pot. If he is a bad player he would have not put me on a lfush as i bet out on the flop. Hes probably putting me on a J and thinking im trying to grab the pot away from him. His mistake here was the large bet, a bet of around $12 from him would have found out if i had the flush and he could have laid his hand down. An overbet from him commits him to calling once i push.

So many players at the $0.25/$0.50 level bet size so wrong. Bet sizing is a key concept in pot control and information gathering.

Bankroll is around $2270. Edging closer to the $2500 mark to get me back to the $.50/$1 tables....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very Nice. I hope you attain your goal. I'll keep an eye on your blog to see how you're doing...keep up the good work.

Kingdeuceoff