Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Skill or Luck..

The ongoing battle. Is poker a game of skill or luck ? The truth is, as most readers will know is that it is a game with an element of both luck and skill. Its the skill difference over a long period of time that makes winning players. Ok im stating the obvious but this question is key. I am confident that this question will be answered in the near future. After some digging around the internet I came across an interesting study on this subject.

http://www.liebertonline.com/toc/glr/12/1 scroll down to 'Poker is a Skill' pdf document.


If it was proved beyond reasonable doubt does this mean the legalisation would happen in the States ? Does this mean that the UK would declassify Poker as gambling and we would have to pay tax on winnings ? IT was judged in the UK last year that poker was deemed gambling. If this is declassified then expect a lot more clubs to appear. I may even leave banking and open up one myself.

I havent played much in since the weekend and im keen to get back on the poker horse. I had an hour last night but the games at AP didnt look that appealing. Only a few tables running and no obvious fishes so I switched over to Full Tilt and tried something I've not tried before.

I eight tabled the $20 Turbo Sng's. This is not a great deal as such. I read of people regularly 20 tabling but as a personal milestone this is good for me. The great thing about it is that I felt fully in control. I had 4 tables on each screen with no overlap. I ended up with 2 x 1st, 1 x 3rd and the rest 5th's and 8th's. This netted me a $55 profit. I had a few bad beats AKs v AQo, TT vs 99 and I wasnt too impressed with the level of play. Purely robot poker. Automatic decisions. No real thinking needed. I think i might try these now and then as a break from cash games or if i cannot find anything juicy going.

Easter weekend coming up. I aim to get around 2k-3k hands played on AP. I really want to see where I can take this bankroll....

Next update, graphs etc after 1000+ more hands...

No comments: