Sunday, February 17, 2008

Bet Sizing Errors

I qualified my way into FTOP event#15, finishing 811 out of 1700 entries. Nothing exciting, it was a 6max tourny and I made a few plays that sucked tbh. My MTT game is not at its best at the moment and I think thats due to the aggressive nature of playing cash tables. I plan to make a bigger effort in the next FTOP.

Back to the topic of the title. Bet sizing is an aspect that I think a lot of people dont fully grasp. This includes me. Its blindingly obvious to see when you look back at a hand but when you are playing 2-4 tables this can be overlooked when you have just a few seconds to make the decision.

Example....
$0.25/$0.5 No Limit Holdem
3 players
Converted at weaktight.com


Stacks:
BTN ($99.80)
Hero ($134.50)
BB ($35.05)


Pre-flop: ($0.75, 3 players) Hero is SB

BTN raises to $1, Hero raises to $3.25, 1 fold, BTN calls $2.25

Flop: ($7, 2 players)
Hero bets $4, BTN calls $4

Turn: ($15, 2 players)
Hero bets $11, BTN calls $11

River: ($37, 2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $20, Hero calls $20

Final Pot: $77
BTN shows:
Hero shows:

Hero wins $75 ( won +$36.75 )
BTN lost -$38.25


Nice win, BUT, this could have been for a lot more of his stack. Ill explain. We have been 6 handed and villain was playing a whopping 80/49/4. For my friends that are reading this that are unsure of the numbers, he is playing 80% of his cards preflop and raising over half of them. The range of an 80% player is almost any two cards (ATC). He had stacked me once with my AK vs AQ all in on an A high board and he turned the Q and also pushed me off a lot of pots so was probably up around 2 buyins of my money. Since then he had been slowly losing his near $200 stack to other players on the table and I had clawed back around $34, we were now 3 handed.

His min bet on the button meant nothing special. 3 handed against him with AJs i am almost always ahead. I raise to isolate $3.25 even though im out of position. An ok flop for me. Against ANYONE ELSE this would have been very tricky. Straight draws and flush draws would make up a huge part of an average players range here.

I make my mistake, I bet too small.. This is bad in 2 ways, If he does have a draw Ive bet just over half the pot and we are 200BB deep. the turn bet of $11 into a $15 is o but could have been a higher % of the pot against this reckless player. The flush scare card comes up and I make another mistake. If I am going to call a bet then I should be raising. I called because he had been making some horrendous river bluffs so there was a good chance I was ahead. $20 into $57.

So lets redo the bet sizing and see where we come out.
pf bet of $3.25 is ok.
Flop - pot size ($7.2)
bet $6 villain calls

Turn - pot size ($19.2)
bet $16 villain calls

River - pot size ($51.2)
I bet $40 villian calls

Final pot $131.2 this is $56 (112 big blinds) more than original scenario. Even if it had played the same way and I checked and he bet $20 the pot is still $92, still $17 more (34 big blinds) more than I got. Against this type of player, the player that cannot lay down a hand I should have followed a better line than I did.

Lesson learned. % of pot is exponential over 3 streets of betting. Get more in the pot while you are ahead. I dont like leaving money on the table dammit.

No comments: