Thursday, February 7, 2008

UB Cheating Pt. 2

EDIT : (See more recent post for outcome http://threekingryver.blogspot.com/2008/05/ub-response-to-cheating.html)

Following on from my post a few weeks ago then suspected cheating at UB looks like it is coming to head. To recap there were a few accounts that had exceptionally high winrates with very high $vpip's. You may think this is likely but when you read the posts and look at the evidence presented you see that the highlighted player (s) are so outside the standard deviation its scary. The accounts also supposedly changed names then disappeared once things started heating up.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=99247


The only response a few players have received from UB is that they are investigating. The evidence looks overwhelming that something is wrong. Phil Hellmuth, as ambassador to the site, is also known to be conversing with a few 2p2'ers and says that UB have everyone looking into this issue.



I think its a coincidence that UB and AP are owned by the same people. I also have this uneasy feeling that there is a lot more of this that goes on than we know. I believe the big sites like Party/Full Tilt/Pokerstars are legit. The smaller sites that have no datamining could be littered with cheating players. This is unregulated market. There is nothing to stop the clever insider/malicious hacker type playing on these non tracked sites, nothing! Someone, like the cheater at AP, got greedy and played in a way that raised alarm bells by players tracking the numbers. How do you catch this with non tracked smaller sites. In a game that contains an element of chance you need hard evidence to prove a player is cheating. Pokertracker has been key to this.



I now face a problem. There was a comment from a 2p2'er that said something along the lines of now that AP is disrespected in the poker community the players in the know (good players) leave the site. this leaves a bigger selection of fish vs sharks, which in turn brings back some players to feed. The lure of profit outweighs the morale issue. This includes me. I know what went on at AP but im on a winnig streak like I have never had before due to the abundance of crap players at AP. I switched back to Full Tilt the other night and played some .25/.50 and .50/$1 and the skill level is so obvious at FT even at these low levels. One big part of me says that I shouldnt be playing at a site that has total disregard for its players, that has lied to cover themselves and never had the decency to be professional about the whole incident hoping that things will blow over. Why should i give them rake ?



Then there is the other side that sees that I have tripled my bankroll in just under 3 weeks with only 5000 hands. The players are so much worse here and my bankroll is not a significant amount to affect my life should the worse happen.



I feel that I would know when to jump ship should there be any worry about AP closing. I will remove most $$ once another bomb hits the online poker world. If UB is proved to be a infested with cheating players it will send a shockwave across the industry that, to be honest, is needed for the long run.



We are talking potentially millions of $$ that have been sucked out of the game due to cheating.



I wish this industry would hurry up and get regulated.

No comments: