Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Where is the bottom ?

Well im still in the midst of the biggest downswing in this poker challenge. Admittedly I am only down 5 buyins at $0.50/$1 and 1.5 buyins at $1/$2 but the fact that majority of this has happened over the past 2,000 out of a total of 8,000 hands has me a little worried.

I stepped back a little from the 4 tabling 22/18 style and fired up 2 tables with the idea of playing a little tighter to regain my composure and to stem the outflow of money. After 400 hands playing 15/12 I was down another 1.5 buyins. I played AA a little slow and was betting half pot all the way and got beat by JJ on the river for a straight. I played it bad and looking back shouldnt have called the river bet for the rest of my chips. Ugh!

Im now playing weak tight. I have moved into fishy territory and the sharks are circling.

I requested a cash out from ipoker and am taking a few days off to collect my thoughts. I can beat this game but I think the psychology of a recent downswing is affecting my play. I need to rebase and start again fresh in my game. I need to shake the weak/tight play and maybe step down to $0.25/$0.50 to get the winning mentality back.

My online bankroll is now around $4700, down -$800 from its high. I am still easily rolled for $0.50/$1 and even $1/$2 but I will just step back a bit for a few days. I have also started wondering whether my move from Australian timezone has made any difference. I play in the evening UK time which means I am facing US daytime players. While in Australia I was playing Oz evening which was US early hours. This i believe put me in front of a lot more tired and/or drunk players than I play against now. Just a thought...

Recommended reading - Gus Hansen's Every Hand Revealed.

No comments: