Monday, April 21, 2008

Begone evil poker spirits.

Im shattered from a week's partying in Thailand. They celebrate the Buddhist lunar new year called Songkran. This is basically a countrywide 3 day water fight. You cannot leave your hotel without being shot at with a water cannon, having a bucket of water poured over your head or having some thai putting clay powder on your face. Its all in good fun and with the temperature being so hot you welcome being drenched. And its all meant to cleanse away any evil spirits that may lurk within you.


With my body cleansed of demons I sat down at the virtual felt last night. I was quite tired so didnt expect to be playing long. I sat down at two tables of $0.50/$1 for $100 each and left 15 mins later with a $280 profit thanks to these two hands.


http://weaktight.com/166992
http://weaktight.com/166991

I want to expand on the second hand here. I havent got any real reads. The villain who has just lost the AK hand vs my AA is also the villain in this hand. He has reloaded and my PT is showing his stats as 22/15 over 50ish hands. So a semi decent player so far.

$0.5/$1 No Limit Holdem
6 players
Converted at weaktight.com


Stacks:
UTG ($126.52)
UTG+1 ($106.75)
CO ($66.55)
BTN ($198.00)
SB ($103.00)
Hero ($188.50)


Pre-flop: ($1.5, 6 players) Hero is BB

1 fold, UTG+1 calls $1, CO calls $1, BTN raises to $5, 1 fold, Hero calls $4, UTG+1 calls $4, CO folds
(Im not sure whether to raise here. My thought was that villain was maybe a little tilted, I didnt want a strong reraise. Being out of position I wanted to see a flop and play hard if no A or K appeared then reevaluate the play from there)

Flop: ($16.5, 3 players)
Hero bets $23, 1 fold, BTN calls $23
(so a good flop. Im behind KJ only here. Thats in his range here but so is a lot of other hands. I overbet to hide the strength of my hand, I had slowplayed the set of aces in the previous hand against him. I was really trying to act weak here and he took the bait)

Turn: ($62.5, 2 players)
Hero bets $31, BTN calls $31
(The call made me think he had AQ/KK/JJ/TT/99/T9s or AK floating. The A on the turn was not a great card. It only improves AQ and AK. Im not too worried about a flush draw here. I cant think of 2 diamonds he would be holding here to call the flop bet. Even so I hold one of the diamond outs and the 9d gives me a full house. Time to act weak again and bet half the pot. This will then set up a pot sized bet on the river for all the chips. Pray for no J)
River: ($124.5, 2 players)
Hero goes all-in $129.5, BTN calls $129.5
(great card for me. If he has rivered a flush then i have his stack. If he had TT or T9s then he has a lower full house and i get his stack. Im only losing to AA. He cant put me on a flush draw. I bet all in hoping he has one of these hands and he calls.)
Final Pot: $383.50
BTN shows:
Hero shows:

Hero wins $380 ( won +$191.5 )
BTN lost -$188.50
UTG+1 lost -$5.00
CO lost -$1.00

I think villains play is so poor here. My hand can play out itself. I think the call pf worked here as I may have had to fold to a reraise pf out of position. But calling every street for all of your 200bb stack is poor play. Its weak and you never give the chance for your opponent to fold. What are you beating here when you hold KK ?? Is he really putting me on AK only ? You cant be going broke with 2 pair on such a co-ordinated board unless you have a serious read.

Villain should have reraised me on the flop and then shut down folding to any bet or checking to the river. That way he gives me an opportunity to fold and caps his loss around $60-$70.

So next time you are going through a downpatch do as the Thais do. Grab a cup of water and tip it over your head. Try not to get any on the keyboard though. Happy Songkran......


So that leaves my bankroll at a very healthy high of $3239.

No comments: