Wednesday, April 2, 2008

OOP Cbet continued.

The previous post had asked a question of when you should or shouldnt continuation bet. Remember a cbet is a situation where you have bet preflop and been called in or out of position. You then bet on the flop regardless of the cards you are holding. As mentioned before cbetting is profitable if used correctly but can create a leak if overused.

The Question:-

You find AhTh in medium position and put in a 4 bb raise. late position calls. He has been playing a 30/12 style so far, no other reads. You are out of position.

Which board would you NOT cbet ?

1) AcKs5d
2) JsQs4c
3) TsKd9d
4) Jc2h6s
5) 8c8h8d
6) 8h9sTc

This is my view. I would not cbet number 2, 3 or6. I would cbet 1, 4 and maybe 5. The majority of pf calls are low to medium pocket pairs, suited connectors, Ax suited or mixture of broadway cards. There will be times where you are called with AA/KK or complete trash but the majority of the time it will be the above.

1) AcKs5d - I would cbet here. You have already repped a strong hand by betting pf. This includes AA/KK/AK/AQ. There is no flush draw there and QJ will be prb not be calling to chase a T. Any Cbet call here is more than likely a KQ/KJ/Ax hand. you are realistically only behind 55 here. I say cbets work here more often than not.

2) JsQs4c - I would NOT Cbet here. Out of position you cannot call a reraise and with two broadway cards this flop hits them hard a lot of the time. KQ,KJ,QJ and the flush draw is too much danger to cbet. I say a cbet here loses money overall.

3) TsKd9d - I would NOT cbet here. Not a chance in hell. This board hits the villain hard so many times. Two pairs, straights, flush draws. Cbet is a loser here.

4) Jc2h6s - I would Cbet here. There is only one broadway card so the chances the have hit are reduced. With no straight or flush draws this is an easy cbet for me.

5) 8c8h8d - This one confused me. I originally put it on here as a yes to a cbet then thinking about it I changed my mind to a no and even more thinking about it I'm not sure. This would be open to discussion. Chances are you have both missed and you have the higher 'High Card' and the person with the most aggression will probably win but tricky to play here out of position.

6) 8h9sTc - I would NOT Cbet here. Your hand cannot stand a reraise. To show the most strength I would check raise then check/fold to any call/reraise. This should then tell you If villain has hit hard and is willing to go all the way. There are not many cards that can come to help you. If you check raise is called even another T is probably useless so its good to fond out now if you are behind. If villain didnt bet on flop I would be looking to get to showdown as cheap as possible.

I think cbetting OOP should be done with thought and not blindness. Over thousands of hands these wrong cbets will add up. These are just my thoughts and I would like to hear any thoughts you have on any of these. If you are not willing to post on here then my email address is under my profile.

Thanks for listening.

1 comment:

Zach said...

Thanks for helping to explain cbets!