Sunday, May 18, 2008

Setting Targets

The difference between where we are and where we want to be is what we do.

I feel that setting a target keeps me focused and keeps me wanting to put the hands in. Its easy to just sit down and play and feel good or bad after a session but to be focused on a goal helps me to keep disciplined. Bad decisions are not just -$ they are a step backward. Also the fact that the missus gave me this short term goal makes me even more determined to make it. Setting financial goals is not for everyone. I know having this goal does not change my decision making on every hand, I also understand variance totally and I know that I could head downwards at any time but if I keep the target in my sights and analyse my play after every session I can keep trying to play my 'A' game as much as possible which in turn will lead me closer to improving as a poker player.

Setting goals need not just be a financial target. This can be in the form of 'I will play 20,000 hands of $0.25/$0.50 by the end of summer, or before I evaluate whether I am good enough for the next level.'

I think all poker players should have some sort of target or goal. I used to play with just a balance. This was just a number that would move up and down but generally go nowhere. My goal was to 'make some money'. While this may be ok for some people I think its easy to just float around the games without any sense of achievement. By setting a goal you have the risk of failure and I know which one I would rather have.

Update
Bankroll $3870
Target $5000 by 15th June

I'm still on track to hit this target. Ive made $656 in May not including Rakeback running at 16.5 bb/100 at both $0.25/$0.50 and $0.50/$1.






I have a few hands from last nights session.


http://weaktight.com/201477 - Folding KK
Villain was playing 22/7/1 I had been playing 20/11 and we had both not got out of line over approx 50 hands. Im losing to a lot of hands here. I feel an UTG limp call, flop reraise is a strong line to take on a board like that when playing me. He was a decent player and I can see TT/99/KQs showing up a lot of the time.

http://weaktight.com/201478 - Overbetting for value against me
no reads on villain. He played me perfectly here. He hits a backdoor nut flush and gets paid of by me. I had the Ace high straight and never saw the flush coming. Could anyone find a fold ? Im going to post this on 2p2 for review.

http://weaktight.com/201479 - Heads up with a maniac
The table had just broken up and I was left heads up with this guy. His stats were 57/21/3 when the table was full and I had been sitting to his left picking him off. I normally leave when the tables breaks but I couldnt resist the opportunity to play this guy. I had seen him reraise all in on different streets with mid pair and seen him call allins with ridiculous draws. This hand came after about 4 hands of HU play. For the record if a semi decent player had made the move I would have folded, but he was too much of a loose cannon and bluffs, low pairs were all in his range as much as QT,8x,JJ.

Happy Monday.

No comments: